Senioritis is Real

Mia Bonds, Katie Eppley, and Alejandro Garcia

Have you ever felt constant drowsiness, fatigue, highly unmotivated, irritation, worsening depression or thoughts of just ending it all? Well, you may be suffering from the well know “Senioritis”. Teachers acknowledge it, students experience it and parents undermined it but Senioritis is very real, can lead to an unsuccessful life and could happen to you.

The number one bystander and possible cause of Senioritis are teachers. Teachers witness the virus seep into our veins and empathize. However, many may argue that teachers don’t empathize enough and are the very cause of this disease. Safiyah Bynum 17’ says, “It’s a deadly disease and homework just makes it worse.” Homework from 6 classes or so is draining and can wear down a senior.

It’s not hard to point the finger at teachers. Many may argue the endless homework, papers and projects can damage a student’s motivation and drive. Some teachers however, acknowledge that Senioritis is a very real problem- a problem that has existed for decades. Due to the fact that Senioritis has been around for a long time, some teachers even relate to students and realize that Senioritis is more than just being tired. Teacher Florian Palucci says, “…motivation wanes, especially when you’re feeling ready to move on to the next phase in your life. I remember feeling Senioritis in high school and just last year in college. It’s very challenging to sustain your energy, particularly if you’ve been working very hard”. Florian, along with other teachers try to make their senior-classes more intriguing, so that the students stay interested,energetic and motivated.

Parents even have something to say about the disastrous virus. Mother of Whitney Young student, Katie- Eppley 17’ says, “As a teacher myself I’ve seen when students don’t have powerful motivation. In this case, the fear of not getting into their chosen college, along with all the other school priorities it is a big stressor.”

Many parents notice a change in their child’s attitude during high school, yet no one has ever pointed a finger to Senioritis. Senioritis affects a wide population of Whitney Young seniors. Everyday hundreds of students put in a lot of effort that some people wouldn’t understand or appreciate. The only resolution would be if teachers, students and parents communicated more to put an end to Senioritis. Katie Eppley