“Put Some ‘Respeck’ on it” – Why taking off your hat in school is important.

img_0864“Take your hat off young lady; take your hat off young man!” A phrase almost impossible to miss from Coach Slaughter when walking through Red House while wearing a hat. Many become annoyed when hearing this and some simply ignore it, but the lingering question in every hat loving student’s mind is “Why? What’s wrong with hats being worn in the school?” The hat policy in the student handbook states that “hats…are not to be worn in the school building [and] students are not allowed to keep their hats with them during the school day.” Of course, there is an exception to satisfy religious concerns, however, students still ask what trouble is being caused by wearing a hat that goes with your outfit or hides your leave-out? No one could possibly provide a valid answer but the head honcho herself, Dr. Joyce Kenner.

According to our principal, “wearing hats inside is seen as a form of disrespect.” Ever since she was younger, hats being worn inside of a building was “just not right,” and as teenagers in 2016, we seem to have lost some key morals that were held back then. Keeping her “old school” values, Dr. Kenner does not want hats to be worn inside of WY. Furthermore, depending on how a hat is worn, or even the color, it can become a symbol to recognize various gangs. Although this may not be our intention now, the risk of misrepresentation is alleviated by not wearing hats altogether. Dr. Kenner wants our school to be viewed as the best and the brightest, and that includes how we dress.

Even with this reasoning, students still disagree with the school’s hat policy and question its basis. Shayanna Love ‘17 has had her hat taken from her because she had it on during school. She states that “hats don’t specifically represent gangs anymore; most kids just want to add to their style.” Miles Hardemon ‘19 adds, “the hat policy should be a rule that is removed in the future because students enjoy wearing hats to school, and as long as they’re worn straight, they should be allowed.” Though students don’t seem to agree with the hat policy, it is here to stay.

No matter what view you take on whether or not hats should be worn in school, no hats are allowed to be worn in the building at all. “Respeck” the rules and remember to take your hat off when you enter the school or face the consequences.