Ms. Karren Boatner: Teacher, dancer, and mentor

img_3658Many students believe that their teacher is no more than a person who only thinks about school and schoolwork. While this may be true for some, English teacher Ms. Boatner goes beyond this stereotype. She is passionate about helping others and dedicated to her job as a teacher. According to Christian Lovett 16’, “Ms. Boatner is a great teacher who makes sure to go into detail and caters to students individual needs.”

Ms. Boatner is a Whitney Young alum who discovered her desire to teach from a teacher at this school. She went to college as a biology major, intending to become a doctor. But once on a visit back to the school she got a pep talk from Dr. Bloland. During Boatner’s time at college she wasn’t as happy with her choice of major and as she explained this to Dr. Bloland, Dr. Bloland told her about herself. Because Ms. Boatner is an avid reader and has always enjoyed literature, Dr. Bloland suggested for her to become an English major. At first Ms. Boatner was reluctant but soon realized teaching was the right move for her.

She explained that not much has changed from her time as a student and her time now as a teacher. Demographics have altered slightly but the expectations of students still are high. Students are expected to strive for maximum academic achievement and participate in extracurriculars to keep them well-rounded.

Besides teaching, Ms. Boatner helps with many extracurricular activities around the school. While she was a student here Ms. Boatner was a dancer on the Poms team. Now she is one of the head coaches while also sponsoring multiple clubs. Davia Murray 17’ stated, “I haven’t had the chance to have Ms. Boatner as a teacher but she’s been a great coach to the WY Poms Squad for the past 2 years. Not only is she extremely organized, she keeps her word and pushes us to our best ability. KB is super raw, that’s gang.” She was once a member of African American Culture Club, and now stands as a sponsor. She isn’t just a background figure though, you will see her at virtually every meeting, giving her opinions on discussions or helping plan events the club wants to create. On the side, Ms. Boatner is a part of a Powderpuff Girl’s Football Team and she sponsors the club here. Another club she sponsors is “It’s A Natural Thang”, a natural hair club for people to learn and discuss how to take care of their natural hair. She has natural hair herself so she is suited for the position. Being a former member of, and now a current sponsor of these clubs, all while being a steady participant in them makes her the best, most unique teacher on campus.