More Than a Coach: Mike Hinrichs

More Than a Coach: Mike Hinrichs

Iris Postma, Claire Fridkin, and Allyson Lin

Coach Mike Hinrichs, the extremely muscular guy you often see walking around the gym building teaching crossfit or coaching softball, may seem intimidating, but he can serve as an inspiration to all of us. While we can’t all be “beastly” or “a machine”, like he is described by fellow PE teachers Coach Weigmann and Coach Mandakas, Coach Hinrichs can serve as an example of how to follow your passions and turn them into a reality. Coach Hinrichs first became interested in physical fitness at the age of thirteen on his first day of high school physical education. Although originally wanting to become a professional athlete, he realized that this dream would probably not materialize, and he reached out to his “very influential” PE teacher from freshman and sophomore year. Remembering the coach who originally got him addicted to physical fitness helped Coach Hinrichs see that being a Physical Education teacher was something that he could do and that would make him happy.

Coach Hinrichs also isn’t just a PE teacher or the softball coach- he is also a dedicated crossfit athlete. Although he first encountered crossfit on the internet, he was eager to try it. His first time, his experience was challenging but he knew he could improve, so he kept trying. He just recently received 8th place at a local crossfit competition in an experience he described as “tough but humbling.” Surely, he will use that experience to better himself, and perhaps someday, we will see him on the TV screen as a competitor on American Ninja Warrior.

Overall, Coach Hinrichs is a strong but kind man. As former current crossfit student Zhixin (Xing Xing) Shou ‘17 describes, “He’s definitely very encouraging. He just wants everyone to do their best and challenge themselves.” It certainly would not be surprising to hear that Coach Hinrichs has inspired other fitness loving students to become PE teachers one day.