Why do people love Donald Trump?

Lydia Niles-Steger, Staff Reporter

At WY, Donald Trump supporters seem to be nonexistent. If they do exist, they are silenced by “the Bern.”  Due to this, many students at Whitney Young do not know or understand the Trump supporters point of view. With excessive media attention over Trump and the upcoming Presidential election, it’s hard to not hear that he is still in the race and receiving endorsements. But how? Who are the Trump supporters and how did they get here?

Dr. Wayne Steger, a political science professor at DePaul University, says that Trump’s supporters are “all across the board, Republicans of every stripe. However, they are largely white males who are middle-aged and dissatisfied with their economic situation.”

Even though Trump’s supporters are predominantly white and conservative, he is currently ahead in the GOP vote by 20%, says David Catanese, a senior politics writer for the US News & World Report. This suggests that although Donald has a limited demographic audience, he should be taken seriously by his opponents in the Grand Old Party.

While Trump supporters vary in their attitudes and concerns, they generally agree on his right-wing ideologies. Dr. Steger says, “among issues, they are very anti-immigrant; they see a white traditional America slipping away and blame immigrants for that.”

Donald Trump’s leadership skills, powerful persona, and his charisma all draw attention to his opinions and get the extensive media coverage that the other Republican nominees envy. Trump’s increasing hold on the GOP position led CNN to conduct a national survey that showed Trump as the number one candidate in the primary. The Whitney Young community may be stunned to see Trump as a candidate in November.