Raising Trans Awareness

Raising Trans Awareness

April Gonzales, Creative Director

In our years growing up in high school, so many things have been changing around us. We’ve experienced many revolutionary changes and some have actually brought so much people together and some maybe against each other. Our generation has created new ideas and changed the ways things were originally run. Transgender awareness has been one in particular. Young people have felt that they need to be who they are and should express it. People usually stick to being cisgender, meaning they agree to the gender they were assigned at birth or go to trans where they do the opposite and don’t go along with the gender they were originally assigned. Young people, including a handful of people who attend WY, know of course, that they should also be accepted for what they want and who they want to be.

Some people take this group of people as if it’s a completely normal thing that is acceptable. Others, well, not so much. One thing that every transgender person wants is to be accepted for who they are. And one thing everyone should know is that they’re here, and they are just as human as everyone else in existence on Earth.

Trans people and many others have also suffered from dysphoria, which is a state where they are unsure if they really are the gender they physically look like (from WebMD). It can be difficult for everyone, especially for trans kids. People are also unaware of how much pain they can be suffering while going through it, considering dysphoria can cause severe distress, anxiety and even depression. According to the Youth Suicide Prevention Program, more than the 50% of the transgender youth have attempted suicide at least once.

One thing the transgender community has worried about recently was that danger for each other, especially transgender women of color. Some of this was ended in violence and murder. At the moment, there already has been eight transgender women of color who have been murdered in the U.S, according to the Huffington Post. Discrimination in general has always been an issue, whether it involves the LGBT community, people of color, and even people with mental disorders. Many activists have already started fighting back to end the discrimination in favor of transgender people.

The transgender community have had their fight for acceptance for a long time and it still goes on to this day. Transgender awareness hasn’t really been noticed through the hallways of WY, no one has really started a whole thing about it. Well according to some students, they have claimed they have suffered from having teachers and other students ignore them and what gender they are. They have claimed it offensive and discriminating. They only have one request for the humans of Whitney Young Magnet High School, and that is to take note of their gender, pronouns and accept them for who they are.

Sources from:

http://www.webmd.com/mental-health/gender-dysphoria

http://www.yspp.org/about_suicide/statistics.htm

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/kris-hayashi/when-visibility-is-not-enough_b_6754722.html