Let’s Get A Summer Job!

Search for jobs

April Gonzales, Creative Director

Summer break: the time where students and staff get to go out and enjoy time away from tests and homework. There is much to do during summer vacation such as going out of town, hanging out with friends, getting ready to go to college, if you’re a senior, or maybe just staying home to relax and take things easy. Many students think about having fun, but some students consider staying on a budget and may not have the money to do much. What some people do during break is get a summer job.

Now some WY students out there have part-time jobs. A good idea before getting a summer job can be asking someone with a job, whether someone in your age group or an adult with a job, for job advice. Friends and family members will help in helping find a job.

A lot of retail and food businesses do have good opportunities for teens. According to Forbes, teens should try looking into being summer camp counselors, golf caddies, retail sales and food service.

Retail usually pays $11-13 an hour and will help students understand jobs when it it comes to helping strangers, organizing and staying busy. Places include Party City, Kohl’s, and more.

Food services can vary. One can either be a cook, cashier, busboy, or even a host/hostess. But just a fair warning, teens must be aware of shift times and how to handle certain situations with restaurants. Being a hostess, you must be able to cooperate with waiters, waitresses and customers all together. Busboys have to do a lot of cleaning and services. Cooks must be able to work an efficient pace while doing their best to satisfy every customer. If you were to end up a waiter/waitress, you can gain the opportunity to get tips.

Camp counselors aren’t so much as a hassle as food services. Camp counselors will have to work with younger children and must take responsibility for them. Counselors have to make things fun and yet hold the authority over camp participants.

As for golf caddying, this job will work out for students who would like to spend time outdoors and understand the physical endurance and the game of golf. For the four hours anyone were to work, they are to earn from $50-100. Similar to food service, they may gain tips from golfers.

Other jobs are out there. From lifeguard to nanny to an intern, there are many opportunities for the teenage community, and it is of course, their choice to decide whether or not to get a summer job. It can be highly recommended, however, if some families want their children to gain experience or help save up for their future.