Students take more APs, average scores drop

Photo courtesy of admissionassurance.com

Emma Purcell, Staff Reporter

The number of students taking Advanced Placement exams has doubled in the past 5 years. Schools are pushing their students to take AP classes, which not only could save students money in college but improves the rating of the high school.

To receive the college credit, students need to score at least a 3, though some colleges vary on this policy.  As it turns out, many students do not pass the exam and can not get the college credit. About 95,000 students took 176,000 AP exams in May, and nearly 40 percent of exams scored below a 3, the Chicago Tribune reports. Illinois’ passing rate for public schools was 62.8 percent for the 2015 exams. The college board argues that even if students don’t pass the test, the exposure to a rigorous curriculum will benefit them in their career as students.

Chicago Public Schools have an average passing rate of 38 percent, the highest since 2011. At Lane Tech College Prep passing rates dipped to a 57.1 percent. the lowest it has been years. Comparatively, this is better than most CPS schools, where some schools get passing rates below 10 percent. At WY, the AP Human Geography test, mostly taken by underclassmen, had a 99 percent success rate in 2015 with students getting a 3 or above. 48% of students got 5’s, 43 percent got 4’s.