14 studying tips for finals that you’ve never tried

Courtesy of Splashsys

Clare Brennan, Staff Reporter

With finals coming up soon, students will be studying like crazy. Everyone’s heard the usual advice – create a study plan, give yourself breaks, get plenty of rest, etc, but here is some advice you probably haven’t heard of.

1. Save time and get the right results when searching Google with the helpful hints shown on the right.
  2. Use an app that blocks any distracting social media or internet. SelfControl is a great one.
  3. Use scents or gum to jog your memory. If you smell or taste one thing while studying and again while taking the test, you will recall more information.
  4. If you want to listen to music, keep it to something instrumental without lyrics so it’s less distracting, like classical. In addition, studies have shown that putting your headphones in the wrong ears can help you focus. The sounds are switched, forcing your brain to do more work.
  5. Meditate before studying. It has been shown to reduce stress as well as increase focus and productivity.
  6. Write your notes, don’t type them. As convenient as it may seem, typing notes is practically pointless since you will not retain anything. The action of writing something down is what helps you remember it.
  7. Speaking of typing, Times New Roman is the fastest font to read and should be your go-to font.
  8. Eat superfoods to boost your brainpower, like spinach, berries, sardines, or dark chocolate (yes even chocolate!).
  9. Always study with your shoes on. Research has proven that people are more efficient and focused when they work while wearing shoes.
  10. Teach someone else what you’re learning – it’s the best way to make sure you fully understand a topic. If you can’t find a lucky volunteer, teach it out loud to no one. As funny as it may feel, it does the trick.
  11. Similarly, reading out loud is more effective than reading in your head. It will feel weird, but give it a try!
  12. Switch up your study space. Research has shown that those who study in more than one room are more likely to retain information. A quiet room at home, a coffee house, or a library are all great options.
  13. Always check the front of textbooks for helpful tools like websites, chapter outlines, or practice quizzes.
  14. Don’t study in bed. Your brain associates the bed with sleep, so not only will it make you tired but it will also tell your brain that your bed is a place for work, sending it all sorts of confusing messages that will interfere with your precious beauty sleep.