Girls Varsity volleyball team wins City

Jessica Lathan, Staff Reporter

Saturday Oct. 17, WY’s Girls Varsity volleyball team won the city championship against Walter Payton in 3 sets. It was a tough battle for the Dolphins after losing the first match, but the girls managed to pull through and come out victorious.

The continued to be successful after the girls defeated Walter Payton for the city title at Brooks High School. After a tough loss in the first match against Payton, who had a 5 point lead, it was hard for the girls to bounce back. Heads hung low and faces looked defeated, but every girl had the drive to win.

Co-Captian Ann Ernst, ’16 and Jill Gomez ‘16 say, “It was hard losing the first set because we all wanted so badly to do well. So we came out in the second set with the will and energy to take the win.”

The girls came out the second set with fire maintaining a lead throughout the entire set. After winning the second set with ease, the team finished strong in the third set and won the city title.

Gomez remarks, “I can leave this team satisfied to know that I contributed to reaching one of our most exciting goals while also getting a chance to play alongside exceptionally talented individuals. Winning city was just the spark we needed to get us fired up for state playoffs.”

With a team full of motivated, talented, and driven girls, state will be the next step for the girls Varsity Volleyball team.