– WY has over 200 clubs including Model United Nations, Break Dancing Club, Eco Club, and Robotics club to name a few.
– WY is ranked as the #2 most diverse school in America, according to niche.com, with a student body comprising of approximately 29.3 percent white students, 25.1 percent African American students, 24.4 percent Latino students, 16.7 percent Asian students, and 4.5 percent of students listed as multiracial or other another race.
– WY students have an average composite ACT score of 27.5 compared to the national average of 21.0.
– WY had 3 seniors with perfect ACT scores this year.
– WY alumni include First Lady Michelle Obama ‘82, directors Andrew Wachowski ‘86 and Lana Wachowski ‘83, former NBA player Quentin Richardson ‘98, current Philadelphia 76ers basketball player Jahlil Okafor ‘14, and hip hop artist Vic Mensa ‘11.
– WY offers 61 honors level courses and 28 AP courses to its students. Additionally 79% of students taking AP courses score a 3 or higher on their AP exams.
– WY students have a 95.5 percent attendance rate.
– WY offers 17 sports to students and has over 800 athletes.
– WY offers 7 different languages to its students including Spanish, French, Italian, Japanese, Mandarin Chinese, Latin, and American Sign Language.
– WY is the current School of Champions. Whitney Young won 11 city-championships, more than any other CPS school during the 2014-2015 school year.
– WY won the 2014-2015 Poms, Academic Decathalon, and Academic Center Cross Country state championships.
– WY has 115 teachers, 34 of whom are National Board Certified.
-Over 10,000 students apply to WY every year.
– WY is a nationally recognized blue ribbon school.