Girls soccer sets sights on city; heads to face Jones at Toyota Park

Charlie Blumenthal, Staff Reporter

Although early in the season, the girls soccer team has already set their goal on winning the city championship.

After winning two city titles in the past four years, confidence is high among the team.

“I have no doubt that we can win city again this year,” remarks Zoe Saphir ’15, “we’ve got the drive, and a lot of intensity to bring to the field.”

Although the girls are in high spirits, they have plenty of competition to face on the field. Schools such as St. Ignatius and Curie are known to be tough competition.  The road to the city championship will not be a walk in the park.

“Sometimes it’s hard to stay focused and hardworking. We need to constantly remind ourselves that if we don’t practice and stay sharp, we might blow our shot at winning,” says Nicole Kaplan ‘15.

The girls soccer team thrives off support. Stands filled with students and faculty cheering the girls on is not only encouraging, but it shows other schools that WY cares about athletics, despite the fact that we’re also academically appraised.

On March 29, at 6:45 P.M., the team will be playing Jones College Prep at Toyota Park, the home stadium of the Chicago Fire. Be sure to tell your friends, family, to come pack the stands, and show this city what WY can do.