WY black arts expo returns to Arts Bridge

Andrea Gomes, Arts and Trends Editor

Starting in February of 2012, The Black Arts Exposition was created by the African American Culture Club (AACC) in order to make the black community at WY more expressive.

“We’re more introverted and this is our one big thing every year that we use to pay honor and remembrance to our heritage,” says Antwan Byndum ’15.

Board members from AACC wanted to see a variety of activity for Black History Month that was different from the usual history aspect; listing inventors, activists, and remembering different African Americans.

Thus, members realized that there hadn’t been a showcase for years and decided to create an arts festival while bringing out the talent.

“They wanted to embrace all cultures by exploring the arts,” explains Felicia Swope-Clotworthy, WY Third Floor Dean. WY students who got the chance to witness the expo love the experience and all around atmosphere.

“It brings everyone together. Everyone can be a part of it whether you’re watching or singing or making stuff,” explains Natalie Zajac ’16

Expos are the new “thing” at WY and includes people who enjoy showing their talents. This year, the Black Arts Exposition was held on Feb. 27 and included artists publicly painting their pieces, David Craan ’15 performing as the student DJ, several students making use of the open mic, different booths selling jewelry and candles, and student-volunteers working at henna and hair stations.

“I’m hopeful that students look forward to it. There’s amazing team effort. It’s a really cool vibe and something that everyone just needs,” explains Swope-Clotworthy.

WY students seem to agree.

“Each year it gets better. It really shows our school’s diversity,” Juan Gomez ’17