Save a list for the best coming books of 2015

Claire Bentley, Arts & Trends Editor

These upcoming books are destined to be full of new experiences, drama, and life lessons.

“Disgruntled” by Asali Solomon, Feb 3, 2015

Kenya Curtis is an eight year old living in Philadelphia during the 1980s and 90s. This book ventures through Kenya’s childhood to adolescence while dealing with growing up and the difference of her family’s culture to others.

“Is Shame Necessary?: New Uses for an Old Tool” by Jennifer Jacquet, Feb 17, 2015

This book explores the very real social nature of shame and how it affects social reform and politics. Topics discussed include consumerism and how the consumerist world is affected by the nature of public shaming through life and social media.

“Liars, Inc.” by Paula Stokes, Mar 24, 2015

Max Cantrell finds the opportunity to sell forged permission slips and cover stories to his classmates, and soon finds himself engaged in a business called Liars, Inc with his friend Preston. But when Preston disappears, Max is the one blamed for the case.

“God Help The Child” by Toni Morrison, April 21, 2015

This novel depicts a woman named “Bride” and tells the tale about the way childhood trauma can shape the life of an adult.

“Funny Girl” by Nick Hornby, Feb 3, 2015

Set in 1960s London, this novel depicts the life of Sophie Straw, who is navigating her life as an aspiring television starlet.

“The Country of Ice Cream Star” by Sandra Newman, Feb 10, 2015

In a future America, a plague called “Posies” kills off the population before reaching the age of twenty. Fifteen year old Ice Cream Star lives in a nomadic tribe living off the ruins of a crumbled civilization. When her brother begins to show signs of the disease, Ice Cream Star ventures into the unknown to find a cure.

“A Little Life” by Hanya Yanagihara, Mar 10, 2015

Four classmates from a small Massachusetts college move to New York to make their way into adulthood. Broke and buoyed by their friendship and ambition, the four characters embark on a journey of challenges.

“Audacity” by Melanie Crowder, Jan 8, 2015

This story is inspired by the real life story of Clara Lemlich, a young woman who emigrated from Russia to New York at the turn of the twentieth century and turned to fight for equal rights.

“Mosquitoland” by David Arnold, Mar 3, 2015

Mim Malone is dragged from northern Ohio to live in Mississippi to live with her dad and stepmom, but when she learns that her mother is sick back in Cleveland, Mim hops on a Greyhound  bus to return to her real home and her mother. But through the trip, she runs into challenges along the way.

“I’ll Meet You There” by Heather Dimitrios, Feb 3, 2015

Two very different characters, one, a recent high school graduate who aspires to go to art school, and the other, a Marine whose leg is blown off in Afghanistan, find each other into an unexpected friendship.