Get a kick out of these books released in the past year

Claire Bentley, Arts & Trends Editor

While reading a book might not be on top of everyone’s “to do” list. However, with even the littlest amount of spare time, a good book can take you far away from a busy life.

“The Impossible Knife of Memory” by Laure Halse Anderson, Jan 2, 2014

After having been on the road for the past five years, high school student Hayley Kincaid returns to her hometown with her father, a soldier who had been stationed in Iraq, who suffers from PTSD. This new novel accounts Hayley’s turn to finally, a normal life.

“Hollow City: Mrs. Peregrines Peculiar Children #2” by Ransom Riggs, Jan 14, 2014

The second book in Mrs. Peregrines Peculiar Children series starts back in 1940, where main character Jacob heads to London with his new friends. There, they find new allies, many peculiar animals, and other surprises.

“Brown Girl Dreaming” by Jacqueline Woodson, Aug 28, 2014

Jacqueline Woodson recounts her life in poetry, growing up in the 1960s and 1970s through the Civil Rights Movement and the remnants of Jim Crow laws.

“Day 21 (The 100 Series)” by Kass Morgan, Sept 16, 2014

It’s been 21 days since the group of 100 delinquents landed on a seemingly uninhabitable Earth, after years of nuclear war in the second book in “The 100” series by Kass Morgan.

“The Counterfeit Family Tree of Vee Crawford-Wong” by L. Tam Holland, July 8, 2014

When Vee Crawford-Wong’s history teacher assigns an essay about his family history, he spirals lies out of his family history by making an essay about the grandfather he ever knew. Soon he finds himself taking a trip to China with his father, to finally see who he really is.

“Not That Kind of Girl” by Lena Dunham, Sept 30, 2014

This memoir by HBO creator of the TV show “Girls” depicts the life of Lena Dunham and what she has learned throughout her life.

“August 9th” by Stu Schreiber, Oct 3, 2014

It’s 1969 and Dan Brewster is an 18 year old UCLA student about to see a rock concert where Jethro Tull opens for Led Zeppelin. Dan is there with his girlfriend Maggie, but when he sees a girl at the concert, Dan finds his breath taken away by the sudden attraction.

“High and Dry” by Sarah Skilton, April 15, 2014

High school soccer player Charlie Dixon is stuck in a whirlwind of problems after he is framed for a stranger’s near-fatal overdose at a party. He spends a hectic week trying to clear his name and turn things towards the better.

“The Prince of Venice Beach” by Blake Nelson, June 3, 2014

Robert “Cali” Callahan is a teenage runaway living on Venice Beach. When he is recommended to a private investigator who is looking for a missing teenager, Cali finds himself launched into a mystery to find someone who doesn’t want to be found.

“Your Illustrated Guide to Becoming One With The Universe” by Yumi Sakugawa, Oct 3, 2014

This ethereal book includes nine metaphysical lessons on managing anxiety, having a cup of tea with your inner demons, and becoming one with the world around you.