The Young Company comes back with “Ghost Bike”

Andrea Gomes, Arts and Trends Editor

Ora dreams about her days with Eddie
                                                                                                                           Courtesy of Holly Situ

How far would you go to bring back a loved one back from the dead? Would you go as far as traveling to the Underworld? Ora does.

“Ghost Bike” by Laura Jaqmin premiered on November 14th and tells a story of two best friends, Ora and Eddie, and their bike travels. However, Eddie ends up in a fatal biking accident, leaving Ora depressed and devastated. Based on the Greek myth of Orpheus and Eurydice, Ora receives some “helpful” guidance from a stranger (later revealed as King Yama) and a magical GPS in order to find her lost friend.

The actors and actresses all played their parts perfectly. Phoebe Black- Toby  ’17 portrayed Ora well as a hopeful, smart and brave friend, something that suited her and her character. Brandon Waller ’15 was Ora’s friend Eddie, and did a great job of sculpting his character’s characteristics as a stubborn friend /ghost who moves on with his life when he accepted his death.

The other characters, including King Yama (Jeremy White ’15) Light and Dark Hel (Emily Hawkins ’15 and Lucia Frisancho ’15), were part of the comedic portion of the play, creating laughs throughout the crowd.

As for the set, it was very realistic. The pillars made it look as though you were actually seeing a scene in the underpass of Chicago and the lighting made the scenes even more interesting. The music directors George Mosher ’15 and Sam Santiago ’15 deserve an applause with creating the right music mood in reference to what was happening.

Even though the actors and staff made the play interesting, the plot itself had a few dull moments. There were some parts that seemed a little longer than necessary and sometimes I caught myself zoning out. Compared to most of the Young Company’s plays with mainly comedy and action, this one featured many sad moments, making the adventure story more gloomy.

Overall, The Young Company did a great job with “Ghost Bike.” Every student carried out their part in each individual crew, making the play as a whole, well done.