Presentation on autism given at WY

Kasey Carlson, News Editor

The Foundation for Human Potential sponsored an event at Whitney Young on Oct. 17 that brought in experts to talk about autism spectrum disorder, also known as ASD. The program, “Assessing Autism Spectrum Disorder: Turning Challenges into Advantages,” intended to teach students about what ASD is, what life is like for those who have been diagnosed, and how we can interact with those who have the disorder.

According to assistant principal Melvin Soto, the program came to fruition after he met Andrea Shindler, the founder and executive director of The Foundation for Human Potential, at the TedX event hosted by WY last year.

“The founder of The Foundation for Human Potential was introduced to me and she was so impressed with our school and our students,” said Soto.

Students chosen to attend the event were those that are in an AP Psychology class, in an AP Biology class, or on the basketball team.

The event was hosted by Shindler and Gloria Araya, associate director of The Foundation for Human Potential. Megan Mawicke, weekend sports anchor for CBS 2 Chicago, moderated the event.

Clark McKown, doctor and executive director of the Rush NeuroBehavioral Center, gave students insight into ASD and the lives of those who have it. He explained that those who have autism often want to interact with others but do not know how and encouraged students to be friendly with those who have ASD, because they are not all that different than those who do not have the disorder.

Jim Johnson, varsity boys’ basketball coach at Greece Athena High School in Rochester New York, spoke about Jason McElwain, nicknamed J-Mac, a former student of his with autism. McElwain gained nationwide recognizition when he was put on the court during the last game of Greece Athena’s regular season and shocked fans and teammates alike when he scored 20 points, including six three-pointers. Johnson shared McElwain’s inspiring story, as well as tips to help achieve one’s goals in life.

Soto was also caught by surprise when The Foundation for Human Potential presented him with the second annual Human Potential Award at the end of the presentation. He was awarded the honor for recognizing that students can make the world a better place and organizing events to help facilitate the education that will help to make it happen.

Soto hopes to organize other similar presentations at WY in the future.