Positive and Negative about Remote Learning and Hybrid!!

Kayla Casiano

Before Covid-19, everything was normal. Everyone went to school, went outside for fun, went out to eat at restaurants with family, etc. In March 2020, everything changed. Everyone has to stay at home for 2-3 months because of the Covid-19. Many people got really sick; it spread all over the world. During this time everyone has to stay at home and do remote learning at school on computer for 8 hours. It was really crazy. During the pandemic, you can’t hang out with family and it really sucks and then later on everyone wears a mask, and wears hand sanitizer for safety. Currently in April 2021, everyone is going back to school and some of them stay remote learning but they still have to wear masks if they are going to school. Now I’m going to interview family/friends to ask what their opinion is about what is positive and negative about Remote Learning and Hybrid

The question I ask is my friend, Alexis Trujillo ‘20.

• What do you like and don’t like about remote learning?

She noted, “What I like about remote learning is that I can be in school right from my bed or wherever I am either at work or running errands. What I don’t like is that we don’t get enough guidance as we would in person.”

• What do you like and don’t like about going to school in person?

She responded, “What I like about going to school in person is I get to interact more with others and engage better in class. What I don’t like about going to school in person is that the weather might cause delays in arriving at school on time but also online class there is also the issue of bad internet connection leading to arriving to class late as well.”

The second person I ask is my friend, Autumn Hlava ’23. 

• What do you like and don’t like about remote learning

She said, “I like being able to be comfy and relaxed, but I don’t like the lack of social interaction”

She responded, ‘I like seeing my friends/teachers, but I don’t like feeling so separated from everyone.”

The third person I ask is My best friend, Mariah Berrios  ‘19. 

She responded, “The dislike of Remote Learning is most students are being home a lot and there’s no social conversations between classmates and teachers, although it is online and it can give information and feedback. Sadly, remote learning turns students into suicide mode, depression, and anxiety. There are a lot of studies of students and younger youths that are into those positions. I know for a fact that it is hard due to the pandemic but we as the people have to try our hardest/strongest to not put ourselves in those situations. Furthermore, in my opinion; remote learning, the likes about it are like the fact that teachers are trying their best to keep the online classes as the “in person” classes. Students and teachers still have communication skills through via emails and classmates that are new in touch with their friends, is a good sign. 

She answers, What I like about going to school-in-person is that it is good mental health to visually see classmates and teachers who are there for you if you need any help such as assignments. In my own belief, I have to disagree on what I don’t like about going to school in person. I believe all students at any age should have an education for free, learn about themselves and the knowledge of who you are going to become in the future. 

Now you can see that people have different opinions about remote learning and hybrid.