Athlete Spotlight: Jessica Lathan ’16

Aram Wilkinson, Staff Writer

1. What was the college recruitment process like for you?

A: The recruitment process was very scary. For sports like basketball you can be recruited and commit way later than volleyball. I was only a freshman when I received my first scholarship from Syracuse and at that time college was the last thing on my mind so it was really nerve racking having to think about college so early. I would get different letters in the mail every week from different colleges after tournaments and the whole thing was very overwhelming but kind of exciting at the same time because it made me feel very proud of myself.

2. What about Georgetown made it more appealing than other schools?

A: I had been going to Georgetown volleyball camp ever since I was 13. Every year I went it kept getting better and better. First, Georgetown was the best school academically I had received attention from so that stood out over all because the most important thing in my recruitment process was receiving a good education. The campus is stunning and I love the coach and the players on the team. I couldn’t see myself going anywhere else.

3. How does high school volleyball compare to club?

You don’t receive attention from colleges through high school season. It’s all through club. High school is more of like a fun volleyball season. In club it’s more serious and rigorous.

4. How do you think the WY team is this year compared to previous years?

My freshman year we were very strong, stacked really. We had Hanna Lee ’13 who is now at Wake Forest playing volleyball and Danielle Schroeder ‘12 who is now at Seaton Hall and they were amazing. We dominated the Public League that year.  We were also pretty strong my sophomore year and still doing well this year! Hopefully, we can take city for the 5th year in a row; my 3rd city championship while at WY.

5. How much of your time is put towards volleyball and do you ever think you will not love the sport anymore?

A: I put a lot of time in to volleyball. I practice at least five days a week for about two hours or more. During club season sometimes it’s six times a week or every day of the week. I don’t think there will ever come a time I won’t love volleyball because it’s a way for me to do what I love and get away from everything else when I’m having a bad day or feel overwhelmed volleyball takes my mind off it all! I will always love the sport!