My Favorite Educational Website

Richie Raclaw

Have you ever been left a class, homework assignment, or study session feeling confused and lost? If you are a student, then the answer to this question is probably “yes.” And, if you are a student, then you’ve probably tried to find the answers to your questions online. And, if you are a student, then you’ve probably found your answers on a little known website called Khan Academy. I say this ironically, of course, because Khan Academy is the number one educational website that there is. 

Khan Academy is used by students across the globe. In fact, “Khan Academy has been translated into dozens of languages, and 100 million people use the platform worldwide every year.” Being one of those 100 million people, I know how helpful the website can be. Especially when taking some of the challenging math courses offered at Whitney Young. What most people don’t know is that Khan Academy is not specific to grade school and high school students. College students use the site just as much if not more. According to Whitney Young graduate Lukas Hecht ‘20, “I’m studying engineering at Purdue and I use Khan Academy all the time. There’s so much math involved that I need some outside resources to keep up.” Khan Academy is capable of helping even the smartest of students.

Another great part about the site, is that they offer free SAT prep. The prep courses are so helpful that, “students who used Official SAT Practice for six or more hours and engaged in at least one best practice scored 39 points more, from PSAT/NMSQT® to the first SAT, than students who did not use Official SAT Practice.” Just ask one of Walter Payton’s finest student athletes. Joey Saviano ‘21 said, “I used Khan Academy a lot when studying for the SAT, and I got a 1440!” 

Teachers can’t get enough of it either. They love the growth that they see in their students. In fact, Coonley elementary school math teacher Mrs. Schultz said, “I’m amazed at the improvement in grades and participation that I’ve seen from my students, and the fact they can earn points really gets them into it.”

If you are a student, I highly recommend that you use Khan Academy. It is one of the keys to comprehension in this complex world.