Whitney Young Parking

Nia Lambert

Whitney Young is one of the top High Schools in Chicago with a highly diverse student body. A big part of this diversity is the neighborhoods that students live in; many students live up to an hour away from school, so when they become upperclassmen driving to school often becomes an option. Whitney Young offers 150 parking passes for students, each pass costs $90. Passes go on sale during the summer and seniors get priority purchase. Some students, even though given the opportunity, do not buy a parking pass and get away with parking in the lot without a pass. Recently, however, Whitney Young has been enforcing passes by not only putting parking stickers on cars but giving out city tickets and towing cars. “Over the summer when passes were given out I was in Europe and was not able to go to school and buy a pass,”  a clearly upset Gracie Silverstein ‘20 says Many students feel that the process to get a parking pass is hard due to it being in the summer and many people are out of town. “I did not get a parking pass because I was unsure if I was going to get a car in my junior year when I did it was too late to get a pass,” says Kimmy Vu- Smith ‘21. Students are hoping in the future the policy can be changed to be more accommodating. “I have hope that administration will hear our voices and attempt to make a change,” notes Carly Garrett ‘21. I think the number of parking spots given is very large compared to other schools in the area. Although, it would be helpful if they were easier to obtain.