KNOCK, KNOCK! Opportunity Here!

Sylvia Love, Writer

How many times a day or even a month do you get to be represented by some of the most widely known basketball players in the world? Well, for the college readiness program Chicago Scholars, those times were this past weekend. Basketball player LeBron James announced that his team would be playing for Chicago Scholars this weekend’s past All-Star Game, held in Chicago for the first time again in 44 years. Ambassadors of this program and a few non-ambassadors were granted the opportunity to attend this game for free with a great view. In addition, select ambassadors, known as the “Fab 14” were given the chance to not only attend media day and witness the practice, but also got paired with a player and walked on court with their player when announced. 

Afterwards, students exchanged their bright blue “TEAM LEBRON” shirts with a signed jersey from each player. “It was a movie, that’s what I can say” says ambassador Kiara Vega ‘20. “So if I join Chicago Scholars this will happen for me too?” asked, jokingly, Lindsay Williams ‘21. Such opportunities were granted to these students because of the hard work and dedication they put into their roles. Chicago Scholar Staff Member Ashlee McGrown said to scholars, “As I sit and reflect on this past weekend’s events my heart is so full from seeing all of your smiling faces, knowing that this will be a memory and experience that each of you will remember for the rest of your lives – but I have no doubt that this is just the beginning for all of you in terms of the greatness each of you will accomplish.” 

Opportunity presents itself when the effort is put forth, don’t stop working now!