Senioritis?!

Genesis Rivera, Editor

A lot of seniors were stressed due to their prospective colleges asking for midyear reports. However, finals are rapidly approaching and with them, the end of the first semester and the end of senior stress. Now comes a teacher’s worst nightmare: senioritis. Senioritis is defined as, “a supposed affliction of students in their final year of high school or college, characterized by a decline in motivation or performance.” As second semester seniors, Whitney Young students often begin to try less in their classes, stop doing homework, and sometimes, they even ditch their classes. During this time, most seniors have already been accepted into a college and have stopped caring about the repercussions that come with grades they see as “below average” (which aren’t as bad as Whitney Young students make them out to be). Some students have begun to express their lack of motivation as the second semester approaches. Siauna Respress ‘20 noted how she’s “finding it more difficult to go to class and is beginning to react more nonchalantly to things [she] otherwise would’ve been stressed about.” This is completely different from Angela Xu ‘23, who tries harder in her classes and said, “I do what I need to do for good grades.” There is obviously a difference in motivation between a freshman and a senior who is only looking forward to graduation. Are you motivated in school or do you have senioritis? Comment down below!