“Happy” Holidays

The holidays are near and many students at Whitney Young are getting into the holiday spirit. As the students walk the halls there is an increase in Santa hats and ugly sweaters that fill the halls. Winter break is anticipated by most students because it means the slow of homework and catching up on missing sleep, which is a problem that almost all high schoolers face. To prepare for the holidays, the clubs of Whitney Young are hosting food sales, clothing swaps, book drives, and more. It is evident that giving is important to the students of the school and the holidays are bringing this out.

The holidays can also be a time of stress for students. Finals encroach on students quicker than the holidays, so winter break isn’t always a reliever of stress. 

“I want to get finals over with. It can be stressful with all of the classes I am taking,” said Isaiah Swain ‘20. Winter break felt very quick for all of the students at school. A time that is supposed to be free of stress was full of it for most people. Nilah Marshall, ‘21 said, “I am stressed. Winter break was too short and ingot sick so I was basically unable to do anything for five days.” This is how a lot of the students felt on our community. Work keeps piling up on all of the students and with finals approaching the stress is dwelt by all.