Oh, The Places You’ll Go!

Sylvia Love, Writer

You go to college, you go to college, you go to college, EVERYBODY GOES TO COLLEGE!! Since last year when we Ms. Jaya Miller-Little joined the staff crew at Whitney M Young Magnet High School, students have been able to participate in wonderful college tours she has facilitated visiting UIUC tas well as  4 schools in New Orleans! These great opportunities are mainly prioritize seniors but juniors are also allowed; I’ve even been fortunate enough to experience them for myself. 

However, some sophomores feel like it’s exclusive. Luka Piña ‘22 says, “Honestly I wish that they could allow sophomores on them, too. I really want to go on one because it looks fun, but I also want to start looking at colleges because my mom is already on me about trying to look for one even though I’m not graduating for two years. I do think it is a great idea to have them but it would be more convenient if sophomores could go on them, too.” 

But on the other hand, sophomores  aren’t necessarily the ones that need it. “They’re super helpful. You get the chance to learn about the college. You also get to see what you like or don’t like in a school,” Tacarra Meaux ‘20 says. Even some teachers see them as quite beneficial. Mr. Grigsby, a social studies teacher at Young, says, “The college tour experience is vital for students to gain a deeper understanding of college life and expectations.  The unfortunate reality is that far too many students do not have access to this first hand opportunity. I believe that offering students the chance to visit colleges while in high school is imperative to their post secondary success.” So, if you get the chance to go on a school sponsored college visit, take it! They are great experiences at great prices.