How do students feel the strike has affected them?

From October 17th to the 31th the Chicago Teachers Union went on strike. The strike affected many people, but particularly CPS students. When asked how the strike affected them, many students were worried about being ready for the AP test in May. One of these students in Karinia Chavez ‘21, who stated,“A lot of my AP classes are behind and I am very stressed about the AP test. I am still supportive of the teachers though.” Another student, Nathan Sanchez ‘20 said, “I think it messed up everyone’s schedule and really messed up the art program because we are all really rushed [for our winter shows]” Although many students feel stressed by the strike, some felt like it was a nice break. “ The strike affected me. It gave me time to sleep and time to persuade random things, like writing and art making. My hobbies but it was also stressful because we didn’t know when we were coming back and all the catch up work.” Said Bryce Ferrall ‘23. 

Overall, although the strike may have caused some scheduling issues, such as the arts departments having to hustle to get their shows finished and sports events were cancelled, many students seem to still support the teachers and understand why the strike happened.