Come on, Come all!

Come on, Come all!

Sylvia Love, Writer

Come one, come all to see the magnificent Whitney M Young Magnet High School! Recently, we have had some elementary schools come and visit our school to get a feel of it. Why are tours so great? Well, according to Assistant Principal Jaya Miller-Little, “The tours are a great idea for students to visit WY and see how the functions and feels. Their experience is crafted based on the school’s/student’s needs.  Students are able to get full school tours, sit in classrooms, watch students in their spaces, and speak to current teachers and staff. Students are able to make a more informed decision after they come here for a visit.”  When going through the high school application process, there are so many options, especially in the city of Chicago. Devin Shaw ‘21 says, “I think it’s great for students to get to see what this school is like because many kids do not get the opportunity to see or learn about selective enrollment schools. Every kid should have an equal opportunity to excel in a high quality and advanced learning environment and this is a fundamental step.” Some schools that have visited are: Edison Regional Gifted, Dixon Elementary, Near North Montessori, and Rogers Park Montessori. So how do the students feel about being stared at in their natural habitat as if they are wild animals? Not as weird as you may think. “Makes me feel proud that I got in because obviously kids would die to come here, I don’t know why they tour, though”, Martin Rusanov ‘20 said. So be proud to be a dolphin, and remember, act natural.