Temperatures Down, Spirits Up

Aaliyah Taylor

On October 11th, Whitney Young Magnet High School held their 2019 Homecoming Football game at Knute Rockne Stadium. Weather conditions for the game reached an all time low as the Pep Band put their instruments away and the Varsity Cheer team remained in their warm ups for the duration of the game. As a result, another age-old Homecoming tradition was called into question. The Senior Girls’ Field Run, where students in the senior class that identify as female run on the field during halftime, became unappealing as the tradition involves wearing shorts and sports bras. With the temperature in the 40s, it is understandable that some students decided not to participate. Most students left the game early while others chose not to go at all. Allison Cavallo, ‘20, was among this group. She explained that it was too cold to go to the game, let alone participate in the event. Other seniors did not allow the cold to stop their plans. Alondra Lozano, ‘20, is one of the girls that chose to keep going. She stated, “It was cold. I’m not mad about it, though. It gave the seniors something to bond over.” Other seniors shared this sentiment. Amaja Craft, ‘20, said, “I was worried about getting hypothermia but I also did not wait 6 years to not take part in this tradition.” It was heartwarming to find that the seniors didn’t allow bad weather to put a stop to their tradition.