New School Changes

Ania Szydlowski, Editor

Over the past few years, students have hoped for new changes to be made at Whitney Young. Specifically, students have eagerly waited for the bathrooms to be revamped because of the drastic difference between the look of the older bathrooms around the school compared to the newer bathrooms on the first floor of the Academic Building. 

Thankfully, the students’ wishes have been answered! This past summer, one of the bathrooms has been completely redone; A fresh coat of black was painted onto the school’s walls, the school bell was replaced with a brand new one, and the new Michelle Obama Athletic Complex was celebrated this summer at Rock the Block.

Lauren Skiba ‘22 explained, “I’m really happy about the new Michelle Obama Athletic Complex. Now, athletes finally get the practice space they deserve.” 

This new field now allows a space for some of the sports teams to practice and play. Contrary to the positive responses to the changes, some people are questioning some of the decisions made on specific memorable parts of the school that were changed. 

“I really miss the Alice in Wonderland bathroom because now it doesn’t feel so welcoming,” noted Allison Chhay ‘20.

Additionally, Nyia Hawkins ‘20 added, “I think the bathrooms look weird without mirrors over the sinks and the bell is too quiet, but the field looks really cool. The track team really deserved better training facilities, so I’m glad they now have this field accessible to them.”

Although there might be some problems with these new changes that can be fixed in the future, everyone in the Whitney Young community is stoked to have such a beautiful field right across the street.