Summer’s Right Around the Corner

Nikhil Kalghatgi

As the school year winds down, seniors and underclassmen alike are finalizing their summer plans. Summer vacations are undoubtedly a time for rest and recuperation, but several students intend to augment their break with educational experiences. Gabriel Laniewski ‘19 is one of them, and he recommends that students “pursue summer opportunities that align with their interests,” noting that this will “help them enjoy their summer while strengthening their college applications.”

Jiajun Yan ‘21 is certainly following this advice. He disclosed that he intended to “read a lot of AoPS books” during the summer. These mathematics books are known for their rigor and their challenging content, and we wish him well in this endeavor. In addition, he has applied to PROMYS, a mathematics program with a focus on number theory. Akhil Kalghatgi ‘19 is an alum of this same program, and recommends that any student “interested in understanding mathematics more deeply” apply for the program.

Of course, it is by no means mandatory to do anything at all during summer vacation—it is after all, a vacation. Abhi Goel ‘20, for example, intends to gatecrash the Metal Threat Fest in July and spend a lot of time sleeping outside. His favorite places to sleep in the city are all on UIC campus, and he says that he is particularly partial to “napping on the sixth floor of the UIC Student Center East building.”

Whatever you choose to do during the summer, we at the Beacon hope you do it well.