Homelessness in Chicago

Ricardo Roman, Writer

Homelessness is a problem that is currently plaguing the city of Chicago. According to National Alliance to End Homelessness, “the January 2017 Point-in-Time count, the most recent national estimate of homelessness in the United States, identified 553,742 people as experiencing homelessness,” and the Chicago Tribune reports that “in 2017, 5,657 people in Chicago were reported as homeless in the June 2017 Point-in-Time count.” In July 2017, the United States Census Bureau estimates that “the population in Illinois was 12,802,023 and the population in Chicago was 2,716,450.” These statistics show that Chicago makes up 1% of the homeless population in America, and 52.4% of the homeless population in Illinois.

After looking at the statistics, students voiced their concern. “I honestly can’t believe how bad the problem actually is,” says Daniel Zhang ‘22. Agreeing with Daniel, Aria Hoesley ‘22 says “It is sometimes easy to get lost in the mountain of statistics and view them as just numbers, but these numbers are people and these people need help.” Looking at the growing number of people leaving the city, some may wonder if the great rate of homeless may be a key factor. A fairly new resident of the City of Chicago writes, “Yea I really hope we can change these numbers somehow, this city is amazing and I would love for more people to be a part of it” Deniz Gulecyuz ‘20.

The residents of the City of Chicago can now only look into the future and help the problem in any way they can in hopes of lowering these statistics and steering the city into a brighter path.