Stealing Still Prevalent?

Stealing Still Prevalent?

Juan Karlo Desembrana

How would you feel if you were out for lunch and you reach in your pocket to pay for your food and your wallet is gone? Or if you’re trying to go home and you realize your only way home, your Ventra card has been stolen? Stealing someone else’s property has always been looked down upon and although things have been improving stealing still seems to be a problem that hits the people it could hurt the most. Even in places like Whitney Young, where students are supposed to feel safe and secure, students find themselves rummaging through their belongings only to find out something has been stolen from them when they take their attention away from them whether it be for a quick second or a whole period. Audrey Howaniec ‘19 says “When I was a sophomore I left my wallet in my gym locker thinking it would be safe there, but when I came back it was gone.” Thieves have discovered more clever ways to steal as well, instead of taking a whole wallet, instead they just take the cash inside. Dominick Lococo ‘21 says “I came into school with $30, but when I went out to lunch I opened my wallet and it was empty, I think someone stole it when I went to the bathroom and left my bag in the lunchroom.” Another student, Mika Cavanagh ‘20 had his calculator stolen when he was a freshman, “The bell rang and I grabbed my bag and left the lunch room, then I realized I left my calculator on the table and when I came back for it it was gone.” Getting your stuff stolen is something that can cause anywhere from a minor inconvenience, to something major so make sure to keep an eye on your stuff, and if you see something, say something.