World Hunger: An Everlasting Issue

Phillip Denne, Writer

World hunger refers to hunger aggregated to the global level. The United Nations Food and Agriculture Organization estimates that about 815 million people, or 10.7% of the world were suffering from chronic undernourishment in 2016.  Almost all of the hungry people live in lower-middle-income countries. Children are the most visible victims of undernutrition. It is estimated that undernutrition- including stunting, wasting, deficiencies of Vitamin A and zinc, and fetal growth restriction- is a cause of 3.1 million child deaths annually or 45 percent of all child deaths.

With all of these sad statistics on tap, students around Whitney Young are very concerned about the world hunger issue. “It should end because there are a surplus of food supplies around the world. We should outsource food reservoirs to make sure everyone eats,” says Senior Akimia Wilson ‘19. Other students around the school agree with Wilson’s general opinion. “World hunger is very sad,” says Junior Noah Sommerlad ‘20. “In order for there to be change, people should stop wasting food and there should be more food banks around the world so everyone could have proper nourishment.” Sommerlad added. “It is so sad that not everyone can eat and don’t know where their next meal is coming from,” states Rosaline Stoykov ‘20. “Food companies and grocery stores that have excess food should donate it to food banks that can distribute it to malnourished areas and countries.” Stoykov added.

World hunger is a serious issue. Not everyone is as fortunate as many people are in America. To find out more and to raise awareness for the course, click this website to make a change.