Roma Is A Must Watch

Alexis Ramirez

Although Roma (2018) has been celebrated by movie critics and recognized at prestigious award ceremonies, the film by Mexican director Alfonso Cuarón has gone unrecognized by the general public following its Netflix release on December 14, 2018. Roma takes place in Mexico City in the 1970s and is based on the life of Liboria Rodríguez, the maid that essentially raised Cuarón. For this reason, this film is deeply personal for Cuarón. It was a masterful recreation of his childhood and a beautiful dedication to Liboria.

“Roma is amazing and everyone needs to watch it,” Sarahi Garcia , ‘18, posted on her Snapchat story shortly after Roma’s Netflix release. Honestly, this is the reason why I personally decided to watch the film. But aside from the influence of my friend, I was motivated to watch it due to its ethnic and historical roots. Roma focuses not only on the life of Liboria but also on the violent events occurring in Mexico at the time. Following my recommendation, the president of Critical Film Studies Club—Julian Mirque, ‘19,—decided to watch Roma and commented, “Roma is a beautiful film.” Roma has won multiple Golden Globes awards and has been nominated for the 91st Academy Awards.