Patriots Top Chiefs to Advance to 3rd Straight Super Bowl

Jack Banks

On Sunday, January 22, the New England Patriots faced off with the Kansas City Chiefs at a freezing Arrowhead Stadium in Kansas City, Missouri. The Chiefs were the favorites going into the game, with a dynamic offense led by MVP favorite Patrick Mahomes II that led the league in total points scored this season. The Patriots were appearing in their eighth straight AFC Championship game, being led by arguably the greatest quarterback of all time, Tom Brady and head coach Bill Belichick.

“I wanted the Chiefs to win because it would have been a great match up between the Chiefs and the Rams in the Super Bowl,” said Logan Banks ‘22.

The Patriots jumped out to an early lead, and at halftime they were up 14-0. However, the Chiefs’ offense exploded in the second half, and with just two minutes left to play in the game they had taken a 28-24 lead. In a remarkable turn of events, the Patriots were able to score a touchdown and go up 31-28, leaving just enough time for the Chiefs to score a field goal and tie the game at 31 at the end of regulation. In overtime, the Patriots received the ball first, marched down the field, and punched the ball into the endzone for a game winning touchdown.

“I’m sick and tired of seeing the Patriots in the Super Bowl year after year,” said Adam Surma ‘19.

After winning the AFC Championship, Tom Brady will look to win his sixth Super Bowl Championship on Sunday, February 2. “Tom Brady is the G.O.A.T., the Pats are gonna win the Super Bowl,” said Tristan Taylor ‘19.

Can Brady win the Super Bowl and make history again?