Student Profile: Quinn Gorman

Gabrielle Cattan

Whitney M Young is full of talented and funny students and staff members. Quinn Gorman, Class of 2017, is one of the hardest working and most creative students at Whitney who makes a difference everyday. Quinn is on the girls Varsity Soccer team, is part of the annual dance marathon and helped raise $448,670.67 for the patients of Ann & Robert H. Lurie Children’s Hospital of Chicago and earned a spot on the IHSSCA All-State All-Academic team for her high GPA and ACT score. Here are a few more things to know about senior Quinn Gorman before she graduates this spring.

What neighborhood do you reside in and what is your favorite thing about your neighborhood?
“I live in Lakeview and my favorite part about living there is that fact that I’m so close to Wrigley Field. Go Cubs Go.”

What’s the best part about being a Dolphin? Worst part of being a Dolphin?
“My favorite moment of being a Dolphin was definitely being down state this year when the boys [basketball] won. It was impossible not to be proud to be a Dolphin. The worst part about being a Dolphin for me has been those couple of nights where you are just drowning in homework.”

What are your plans for the future?
“My plans for the future… Well, I’m going to attend George Washington University in the fall and that’s about the only thing I can confidently tell you about my future. I’m not totally sure what I will study or become but I’m excited to find out!”

What are some interests that you have developed? Interests you have but have not yet pursued?
“An interest that I’ve developed in high school is making jewelry. An interest I haven’t pursued is rock climbing.”

What do you spend the most time on that others might not consider productive?
“I spend a lot of time thinking about what I’m going to eat that day. I talk about it a lot and it’s always on my mind. Some might think that this isn’t productive but I really can’t help myself.”

What’s a particular memory/incident you have from your time in high school?
“I went to the spring dance show he other day and I was truly blown away with what the dance department put together. I know that that show will be a memory from high school that I keep with me for a while.”

If you hadn’t been a Dolphin, where would you have gone to HS and how would that have impacted your life?
“Hmm if I hadn’t gone to Whitney Young I unfortunately probably would’ve gone to Lane Tech. I would probably be pretty miserable haha. I’m just proud to go to the School of Champions and really couldn’t see myself anywhere else.”

What is your favorite thing about Chicago? Favorite restaurant? Favorite dessert place?
“My favorite thing about Chicago is probably the food (but it’s so hard to pick a favorite part). My favorite dessert place is Sweet Mandy B’s and my favorite restaurant is probably Mia Francesca but I also love Rise and Athenian Room.”

What’s a quote you live by or one you might suggest for others?
“A quote to live by… it’s really cheery but ‘Life isn’t about waiting for the storm to pass it’s about learning to dance in the rain.’”

Quinn is not the only amazing student walking around Whitney M Young; the school is full of different students who each have special talents and interests. At the end of the day Quinn’s athletic, academic and community efforts help her stand out and make her unique.