Boys Varsity CPS Track and Field City Championships

Forrest Haydon, Writer

The Chicago Public Schools high school Track and Field City Championships were held at Hanson Stadium this past weekend. Some of the top competitors in the state performed for the city. On the boys side there was some great competition in almost every event despite powerful gusts of wind prevailing throughout the day. Whitney Young parent Macus Alonso said “That was such a good meet. Everyone was running terrifically.” A multitude of events took place ranging from discus throw, to 100m sprints to hurdles and two mile races.

In the 100m sprint, Myles Davis of Walter Payton and Malik Adams of Morgan Park went one and two with respective times of 10.89 seconds and 10.94 seconds, some of the top marks in the state.

Whitney M. Young Junior Clayton Mendez achoring the 4x800m       Photograph by Mark Capapas

The 200m saw Myles Davis get second to Morgan Park’s Juwan Denton, both running an incredible sub 22 second time.

In the 400m, the field was a little lighter than previous years with winner Arthur Santoro of Jones winning by more than a full second with a time of 51.01 seconds.

The 800m race was a thrill to watch as heavyweight runner’s Clayton Mendez and Evan Radomski of Whitney Young, competed along with 400m winner Arthur Santoro. Mendez beat out Santoro on a sprint in the final 100m to finish with a time of 1:59.15 seconds with Radomski coming in third.

The 1600m, a race just short of a full mile was an easy race to call. Clayton Mendez came into the race as favorite and Jaime Marcos of Von Steuben as the clear second seed. They went one and two with Mendez winning with a 4:22.92 seconds and Jaime with a 4:25.52 seconds.

In the 3200m, Jaime Marcos won, as he was virtually unchallenged most of the race and was able to run a time of 9:43.10 seconds.

In the 4x800m relay, Whitney M. Young won by a large margin, the four members consisted of Anthony Tuman, Forrest Haydon, Keduse Worku, Clayton Mendez.

We asked competitor Sam Rivera of Whitney M. Young what he thought of the meet, he said “[It was] intricately designed to enhance the feeling of losing and winning.” Fourth place miler Keduse Worku of W. Young claimed the competition was tough because “there was a bunch of wind.”

Jaime Marcos of Von Stueben finishing the two mile.     Photograph by Mark Capapas

Whitney M. Young, ended up placing third to winners Morgan Park and runner up Lane Tech, despite only having runners in distance events.

In addition to the boys races, Amira Young put up several outstanding performances. Make sure to vote her as Illinois’ Girl Track Athlete of the week on MileSplit

The full results can be found on Athletic.net