‘Chicago Fire’ Taking Over WY???

“You guys don’t have a yacht? What kind of school is this?” said Monica Raymund, when she visited Whitney Young to film a scene for the well-known show, Chicago Fire. The cast and crew visited to film two scenes taken on the bridge and one of the classrooms nearby Blue House. They were there from when the day started to past four in the afternoon, after students had gone home or to clubs.

Dr. Joyce Kenner and Mr. Swanson had the pleasure of meeting with the crew members and giving them the time. In return, they were paid for the time given to the cast and crew. We had the opportunity to meet with the location manager, Fernando, who checked in to see if it was appropriate to meet with the cast and get a couple a of questions answered from them. “I appreciate how accommodating the school was and how generous Dr. Kenner was to us,” the location manager answered after being asked why he chose the school. Tim, another member, called in with the Chicago Fire publicist and gave it an “okay” to go meet with actresses Monica Raymund and Kara Killmer. As students, we couldn’t miss classes, so we checked in once every class period and waited during our lunch times.

We also got the chance to meet some makeup artists, including Rosalind Jones-Crosby, who graduated WY and also did the makeup for Jupiter Ascending. She currently works the makeup for Chicago Fire, does theater, and works with prom makeup too.

Kara Killmer and Monica Raymund may seem very intimidating to be around considering they are famous and have a name, but in reality, they are just as humorous as the students who go to WY. Kara Killmer is a huge fan of the food and claims she knows the her way around downtown Chicago, leading up to Monica asking her to take her on a tour around town.

Ms. Raymund also loves makeup and pointed it out on one of us. She complimented a look we pulled off and gave us some makeup advice too.

It may have been slightly challenging for students to cross back and forth from the main building to the arts building, but in general, many students were thrilled to have their school being filmed for a TV show. “I thought it was cool they decided to come here. It’s an interesting opportunity and it’s cool,” said Mario Macias ‘17.