Athlete of the Week: Grace Zarzecki

Aram Wilkinson, Staff Reporter

Grace Zarzecki is one of the leaders of the WY girl’s hockey team and has also had success on the track and field team. Next year she will be playing Division One hockey at Harvard University.

What was the college recruiting process like for you?

The college recruiting process was actually really long for me. I remember it really started at the end of 7th grade and lasted until my decision in February of my junior year. I was experiencing the pressure of choosing a college at a younger age than most seniors do, but it was really exciting at the same time.

What is more important for recruiting, the high school season or club?  

Definitely club. Because ice hockey is not a super popular sport, high school hockey can suffer because of lack of players. For instance, Whitney Young has to combine with the Latin school because we do not have enough players for either a girls or boys hockey team. Most of the scouts go to the big club tournaments because they will get to see not only many more kids, but they get to see kids from all over the country.

What was it about Harvard that made you choose it?

I chose Harvard because all around it seemed like the best school for hockey and academics. I really like Coach Stone (2014 Olympic Coach) and I think that she can help me be the best hockey player I can be and I also really like the team and the style of play. I also knew that, from an academic standpoint, it was an opportunity that I couldn’t pass up. With everything combined, it really just seemed like the best fit for me.

How is the high school team this year?

The high school team is pretty good this year. We have a good amount of returning seniors and we hope that we can improve and make it to the state final this year. Our record is good right now, we just need to continue on the path we’re on so we can finish this year hopefully with a state championship.